Saturday, June 17, 2006

Reflections on Father's Day

About a month ago (Mother's Day actually) my wife was talking to her mother on the phone. She had visited us a couple of weeks earlier and when she returned to California my wife had her take our Mother's Day present for my mom with her (thus saving on costly postage). Well she had forgotten to give it to her and so my wife was teasing her and reminded her to not forget the Father's Day gift we had sent for her dad. As I was listening to this, for a brief second I thought, "I wonder what we should get my dad for Father's Day?" Then I remembered, you don't get people in heaven Father's Day gifts.

The fact is that since my dad passed away a year ago January I miss him more than I thought I would. He was a unique man and a unique father. I used to think that he and I were polar opposites. There were times I didn't always appreciate his quirky sense of humor (his seeming inability to be embarrassed) and frequent opinions(which irritatingly almost always turned out to be right) yet I always had this great desire to please him. I wasn't always sure how well he and I related to each other but I was always proud of him.

The older I get the more I find myself emmulating him. I have discovered the joy that comes from doing some oddball thing in a semi-public place and watching your kids wish they could seap into the floor. As I followed his footsteps into ministry I began to find his insights far less irritating and much more insightful. I remember him introducing me to John MacArthur and how pleased he was to tell him that I was a pastor too. I know how much I enjoy meeting people that knew him and telling them that I am his son.

One of my favorite memories of my dad took place the last summer we lived in Santa Rosa. The thing is, we didn't have any idea at the time that we would be moving in about 9 months. We were staying at a lake with my parents and my sister's family. Every morning my dad and I got up early and went fishing out on the lake in a neighbor's small boat. During the entire week we caught a sum total of about three fish (he caught them all) and I think I had maybe one bite the entire time. So basically it was my dad and me on a quiet lake talking our way though the cool mornings. I don't remember one single thing we talked about but I do remember how cool it was to be there with him. The thing is, that week was the first time I really started to notice that he was getting older. He got tired on the walk to and from the boat and he needed my help getting in and out. It was really the first time that I began to realize that he might not always be here. When we moved here I really wanted him to come out and help me. I thought it would be good for both of us because I realized how much we had come to understand each other. I still feel bad that he and I never got that chance.

So this Father's Day I have found myself a bit meloncholy but I am thankful that I have had a dad that I miss so much. My prayer is that in emmulating him my own sons will one day want to do the same.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ando said...

Great post. I miss him too.

8:24 PM  
Blogger J Crew said...

Thanks a lot. Now I miss him and my dad too.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Julie Danielle said...

That was very nice to read.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Heavy G said...

Hey Josh, just this last week I was telling some people about the two weeks I worked for your dad in 1983. He was very nice to me when I left a shovel right behind the tire of a truck so that it got run over and busted in two. You rdad was always a class act and I miss him too.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Your dad was a great man. I only knew him for a short time, but his humor and desire to seek and please God left a permanent impression on me! His love for the Lord and life was amazing! To have a dad like that is a precious gift from God!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home